Monday, January 11, 2010

Bible in 90 days- 11 days down, 79 to go!




Well, it's the 11th of January and I'm still going strong in my Bible reading. So far, I've read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, and most of Numbers! I can hardly believe it. I truly look forward to waking up in the morning and reading God's Word. I was one day behind, but yesterday I caught up.

The thing that has helped me most with this challenge is not turning on the TV or the internet until I've completed the reading for the day. It takes me about an hour to do the reading. Like I said before, I can waste an hour easily, so that's one reason I decided to take on this challenge. The early morning (around 6) is the best time for me to do the reading. That's about the only time that the house is super quiet. Once Halley and the tiwns are up, there's no turning back! I try to remember to put the coffeemaker on auto so that my coffee is waiting for me.

Reading so much each day gives me a broad view of the Scriptures. I do see the good that could come out of reading the Bible at a slower pace. If I did, I would have more time to research and find answers to my questions. But doing it this way let's me see the forest instead of focusing on each individual tree. And getting through Leviticus in 3 days was an added bonus. Of course, I know all of God's word is God breathed, but to be honest Leviticus is VERY detailed and I had a hard time focusing.

God is showing me that He means business in dealing with sin. Today, I read that He swallowed an entire family into the earth becuase of their sin. Moses wasn't able to see the promised Land becuase He didn't obey God's word as he had told him. (God told him to speak to the rock and water would come up. Moses struck the rock and thereby struck himself out of the picture for seeing the land that flowed with milk and honey.)

On a funny note, I find myself cringing each time the people begin to grumble to Moses and Aaron. I want to shout out loud, "NO...YOU'LL DIE!" LOL. When will they learn? So many Israelites died because of their grumbling. Even though the Israelites saw God deliver them many times, they always doubted and grumbled. I can't look down at them though, for I see this same thing in my own life.

Reading the Bible in 90 days has brought some much needed discipline to my life. It has been a joy to come to God's Word and learn His Ways. I have enjoyed checking in with others who are reading along, too. Please go to Momstoolbox to read insights from others who are reading the Bible in 90 days.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks for the blog visit & comment! I'm right there with you! Leviticus was really hard to keep focused on, but I just read quietly out loud to myself and stayed on track. What I am really getting out of this (besides the overview of history and daily discipline!) is how thankful I am for my Salvation. There truly was no way for us to be saved otherwise. Can you just imagine having to offer all those sacrifices for every little thing, for sins we even don't realize we have committed? WOW. Thank you Jesus!

Your babies are gorgeous! Makes me miss having the little ones. My youngest baby is 7. We do have a grandbaby though, so we get some of those squishy toddler cheeks and wet kisses still! =)

Amy@ MomsToolbox said...

Love it!
Sounds like you are doing really well. I do the same thing when I read about the people grumbling. :)
I want to warn them... guess they are warning us!
Hope you are still enjoying it.
See ya Monday for the next check in.